Course/Event Preview & Key Stats
Venue – The Renaissance Club
Location – North Berwick, Scotland
Style – Links
Par – 71
Yardage – 7,136.
Architect – Tom Doak (2008)
Event – 37th staging of Scottish Open (1st time at The Renaissance Club)… Rolex Series Event.
Prior Events Held – 2018 Open Q Final Stage (Winner, Sam Locke -7, Runner Up Grant Forrest -6. over 36 holes)
Its always refreshing to see a new course being utilised and although The Renaissance Club may not have the heritage its neighbours may have it certainly has the pedigree and the quality.
Very much defined as a true coastal links, it has it own distinctive stamp that utilises various trees and stonewalls. The preparation of the course is always offered to the very highest standards and if the weather plays it part as it should do on a links course we should be in for a real treat.
To be updated closer to the event.
European Tour DraftKings Picks
- Rory McIlroy $11,800 – Possibly a little harsh on other stars playing like Rickie and JT, but in my opinion he is the class act within the field. I rolled with Jon Rahm last week for that exact reason and although Rory’s form at this event isn’t exactly impressive I believe at this new venue Rory will warm massively to everything on offer and use it as a springboard to take a high level of confidence into The Open Championship.
Martin Kaymer $9,200 – We have seen a lot of quality from Martin recently including last weeks T9 in The Irish Open. Narrowly missing out by 1 shot to qualify for The Open, this last opportunity will be a massive incentive to push hard and grab a late spot.
Eddie Pepperell $9,000 – I decided to fade Eddie last week to see where his game was after a longish break and if not for a slow final round, that decision would of been even more frustrating. Anyway Eddies game looks good and its so perfectly suited to playing links golf.
Andy Sullivan $8,700 – We will have to pay up a little bit to play Andy again this week but the few extra $’s still looks like incredibly good value for a player when in form is extremely capable of producing low rounds and contending for wins. Last weeks T2 and e/w pay-out will bumb his ownership but I expect another solid performance and T10 or better.
Mike Lorenzo-Vera $8,500 – The pressure is off in terms of trying to grab one of the last Open spots. Playing extremely freely right now and picking up plenty of cash along the way.. Last week we got to see more of the same from the Frenchman with a T9 finish. His style of play and creativeness is so perfectly suited for another good performance and hopefully a hattrick of T10’s.
Jorge Campillo $8,100 – The month or so off seems to have served Jorge well and his game once again looks in good place to contend for another European Tour title. 4 rounds in the 60’s and a T7 last week in Ireland will only help confidence whilst he has it teed up in Scotland.
Gavin Green $7,600 – Coming off of 3 top tens in his last four starts, the big hitting Malaysian will no doubt come out and attack the course once again this week.. When he gets it going he can really rack up the points in your DraftKings line ups and whilst in this form it would be unwise not to gamble on him again.
Paul Waring $7,300 – Another player who has featured frequently this year in my write ups and for very good reason. A solid gritty competitor who is having a great year so far including a T7 last week to make it fout top tens from ten starts.
- Grant Forrest $7,100 – One of only a few within the field to have experience of playing competitive golf here and the experience he has is extremely positive. Grant played here in Final Open Qualifying last year and successfully grabbed one of three spots that day by placing second with a 36 hole total of -5, whilst the majority of the field struggled to break par. Returning here with the same focus in mind and hoping The Renaissance Club is kind to him once again.
Sebastian Soderberg $6,400 – Most of my line ups will form a balanced structure and I wont be utilising players too much at this price. However if your looking in this range it may be worth taking the safer play and a little experience at this venue. Sebastian finished just outside the qualifying spots in 2018 in testing conditions. He’s also coming off a decent performance in Ireland. A few less errors and we could see much better than last weeks T41.
- Other inclusions in player pool -Rafa Cabrera Bello, Thomas Detry, Bernd Weisberger, Oliver Wilson,
European Tour Betting Tips
- Martin Kaymer, 30/1, 1 point e/w
- Andy Sullivan, 40/1, 1 point e/w
- Paul Waring, 80/1, 1 point e/w
- Grant Forrest, 175/1, 1 point e/w
First Round Leader
- Martin Kaymer, 40/1, 1 point e/w
- Gavin Green 80/1, 1 point e/w
- Grant Forrest 100/1, 1 point e/w